Our Team Is At Your Side When Life Changes

Getting care without health insurance after a car accident

On Behalf of | Apr 26, 2021 | Car Accidents |

Because your body’s automatic stress response may mask injury symptoms after a car accident, it may take some time for you to realize you have suffered an injury. Consequently, going to the emergency room for a full medical valuation is a good idea.

Injury diagnosis and treatment can be almost unconscionably expensive. If you do not have health insurance, you may wonder if seeing a doctor is even an option. The simple answer is yes.

Responsible driver reimbursement

Even though you are likely eligible for reimbursement of your medical expenses from the driver who caused the accident, your insurance settlement or personal injury judgment may take months or longer to arrive. In the meantime, you may have some options for paying for medical treatment.

Medical payments coverage

Immediately after your accident, you should check your car insurance policy to see if you have medical payments coverage. This optional coverage pays your medical bills up to your coverage limit.

Medicaid or Tricare

If you have limited income and assets and meet other eligibility requirements, you may qualify for Medicaid. On the other hand, if you have ever served in the military, you may be eligible for Tricare. Exploring each of these may help you pay medical expenses until you settle your accident claim.

Hospital flexibility

Regardless of your ability to pay, both public and private hospitals must provide treatment in emergency situations. Public hospitals typically must also provide care in nonemergencies. Either way, if you do not have health insurance, the hospital may be willing to establish a payment plan or reduce the amount you owe.

Even though paying medical bills without health insurance can be difficult, you must not ignore your physical, mental and emotional health following a car accident. After all, with the right care, you may boost your chances of recovering completely.